What are floating islands used for? See answer
What kind of material do you use to provide the buoyancy of the islands? See answer
How do floating islands "work" on the water? See answer
Are these floating islands precultivated in a nursery? See answer
What are floating islands used for?
We use them since 1995 in our projects as :
- Nesting and refuge area for waterfowl and wastewater treatment by submerged (microbiological active) biofilms
- Odour control and bacterial metabolism of high strength silage effluent
- Filterponds covered with floating islands for sedimentation of secondary sewage sludge from trickling filters
- Filterponds covered with floating islands for sedimentation of secondary sewage sludge from rotating biological contactors
- Floating islands for tertiary treatment of activated sludge treatment systems
- Floating islands as barrier for oil and floating rubbish at wastewater lagoon systems
- Floating islands at different stormwater treatment wetlands
- Floating islands for high strength (COD > 10.000 mg/l) industrial wastewater treatment in tropical countries, as fish breeding habitat and for odour control
- Sedimentation ponds with floating islands for polluted effluent of the construction material recycling industry
What kind of material do you use to provide the buoyancy of the islands?
In most applications we use a special textile plant carrier as a platform structure to support the buoyancy of the wetland plants (helophytes).
How do floating islands "work" on the water?
The plant roots growing in the water take up nutrients and provide large surfaces on their root and rhizome mats for active biofilms (microbes improving water quality). By shading the water surface floating root mats suppress the proliferation of algae. Floating rafts provide wildlife habitats for waterfowl above the water surface and breeding areas for young fishes in the root network below.
We use floating islands (floating rafts) in our treatment wetland projects for the removal of pollutants in water bodies and for different other purposes alongside with constructed wetlands for nearly 25 years.
Are these floating islands precultivated in a nursery?
Yes, they are precultivated for one or two years in our nursery near Göttingen. www. rhizotech.de